Creating positive impact
through connecting science and society
What is the Tesla Minor?
Tesla is a minor program for MSc students (UvA or other universities) who want to make a positive impact beyond academia. During this intensive 30 EC minor program, a selected group of students gets to work in interdisciplinary groups on a real-world societal challenge for five months. In collaboration with partners such as government, NGOs, non-profits and social businesses, students have the opportunity to create meaningful change while gaining invaluable experience.
Besides working on a project, students participate in – and co-organize – trainings, lectures, coaching and an integrated sports program. All designed to prepare students for a fulfilling career as an effective change maker.
What will you learn?
• Continuously learning and adapting to new knowledge, perspectives, and tools in order to stay up-to-date with the latest developments and approaches to address societal challenges.
• Developing an empathetic and inclusive approach to working with diverse groups of people, including those from different cultures, backgrounds, and disciplines.
• Combining, analyzing and structuring complex information from a diverse range of (academic and non-academic) sources
• Building resilience and adaptability to navigate uncertainty and overcome challenges in complex and dynamic environments.
• Building strong networks and relationships with stakeholders across various sectors (e.g., government, non-profits, private sector) to leverage resources and expertise to address societal challenges.
• Demonstrating leadership skills, including the ability to inspire and motivate others towards a common vision, while also being open to feedback and collaboration.
• Developing project management skills to effectively plan, execute and evaluate initiatives aimed at addressing societal challenges.
• Practicing self-care and prioritizing work-life balance in order to maintain personal well-being.
• Embracing a growth mindset, which involves embracing challenges, persevering through setbacks, and seeing failures as opportunities to learn and grow.
Every year, Tesla works on multiple projects with different partners. Topics typically revolve around sustainability or health.
What students say
“In Tesla I had the chance to work in a very ambitious team. The Tesla program also assisted a lot in the team process. It is important to be open to each other in the beginning, to share your preferences and be aware of how you induce negative feelings in others. As my team consisted of three very different personalities conflicts are inevitable when working together for five months. However, we learned to accept each others needs and found ways that allowed everyone to express his/her strengths, because we were open to each other and everybody worked hard.” – Maurice
Ready to apply?
Interested in becoming a partner?
Do you have a question that has been bugging you for ages? Or an innovative idea that needs some thorough research and a fresh perspective?
Become a Tesla partner! A team of 2-3 top-performing and highly motivated MSc students, guided by experienced consultants, coaches and academic supervisors, will take a deep dive into your problem. By working on your assignment, the students gain valuable experience and professional skills, and you receive a creative and scientifically sound solution.